[thelist] Business/Payment Question........

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Sat Dec 29 14:56:28 CST 2001

I started this 12 hours ago when the thread started, suspended it to
finish other replies, and forgot to send it.

Most of the stuff I mention has already been covered by Rudy and John, but
there's a bit of humor at the end that you'll likely appreciate.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, aardvark wrote:

> i think that's the kind of practice that fosters anything but a good
> relationship with the client... holding their work hostage is how it
> can be seen on their end, and it removes any trust...

I have to join my own voice to this opinion.

> remember, this is the web... if you insist on holding up changes for
> payment, that client will walk when someone comes along who can
> offer the immediate service they want...  i hate to say this about
> the other feedback you've gotten, but you're probably better off
> disregarding it...

Even if you disagree, the man DOES have a point (Rudy, not the client).

It won't help with this client, but in general:

1.  Get EVERYTHING in writing or via e-mail.  Approvals, change orders,
    disputes, notifications of all kinds.  In some places - like Oregon,
    where I live - you're dead to justice if you don't.
2.  Spell out the payment and invoice terms before you start planning
    or bulding ANYTHING.  If the client has an EARNED (not anecdotal)
    reputation for keeping their promises, it might be practical to loosen
    your payment terms if you can afford it... but anymore I only do it if
    those factors are both affirmative.  No excuses, because the only
    thing worse than not having gigs is having a plate full of gigs that
    you're not getting paid for.  (More on this below.)
3.  Define deliverables and the timelines associated with them, so
    that their reasonable nature (or lack thereof) is spelt out and on
    the table for all to see.  Even if the job is being done pro bono
    or on some sort of payment plan.  If they want to demand immediate
    turnaround, they should have the fortitude to put those demands in
    writing (and I know of at least one person on this list who will
    agree with this assertion, word for word, based on earlier
    correspondence).
4.  If the client falls behind, don't hold anything hostage.  At the
    same time, there's no reason why you should feel yourself constrained
    from refusing service until the account is paid in full.  ("You
    haven't paid me in three months - until you do, I'm not working on
    the site.")

For the really difficult clients, you can give them the following
explanation for your hard-line approach:

"I'll tell you what:  if you can convince my landlord, grocer, utility
providers, ISP, bank, estate agent, doctor, druggist, bartender, etc. etc.
to serve me for free because I'm such a nice guy, I'll gladly return the
favor."

Yes, the work might go to someone else.

You might be so broke, that you can't afford to turn the work down.

But none of that changes the fact that we are professionals who should
carry ourselves in a professional manner, and expect that our clients
will do the same - at least to the same measure.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."