[thelist] JavaScript date problem

Syed Zeeshan Haider zeeshan_paki at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 14:09:32 CST 2002

Hi Kristina,
I have read your post and replies to it. None of those scripts, which were
sent to you satisfied me. Therefore, I have created a script for you. It
gives three messages according to the time.
Those Messages are:
Good Morning            0000 hours to 1200 hours
Good Afternoon          1200 hours to 1800 hours
Good Evening             1800 hours to 0000 hours
Other part of the message is same as your requirement requires. If you
encounter any problem please tell me so that I can remove that problem from
the script. I have checked this script with IE 5.5 and NN 4.77 and it works
with both in Windows environment.
Here is the script. Copy and paste to use it.

<script language="JavaScript">
var pam, greet, exten
var todaysDate=new Date()
var theDate=todaysDate.getDate()
var theDay=todaysDate.getDay()
var theMonth=todaysDate.getMonth()
var theYear=todaysDate.getFullYear()
var theHour=todaysDate.getHours()
var theMinute=todaysDate.getMinutes()
if(theHour<12)
{
pam="am";greet="Good Morning"
}
if(theHour>11)
{
greet="Good Afternoon"
}
if(theHour>17)
{
greet="Good Evening"
}
if(theHour>11)
{
pam="pm"
}
if(theHour==0) // when it is midnight
{
theHour=12,pam="am";greet="Good Morning"
}
if(theHour>12)
{
theHour=eval(theHour-12)
}
var thisDay=new
Array("Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday"
)
var thisMonth=new
Array("January","February","March","April","May","June","July","August","Sep
tember","October","November","December")
var exts=new Array("th","st","nd","rd","th","th","th","th","th","th")
var strDate=theDate.toString()
var charNo=strDate.charAt(eval(strDate.length-1));parseInt(charNo)
assignExt(charNo)
function assignExt(No)
{
exten=exts[No]
}
if(theDate>9 && theDate<21)
{
exten="th"
}
if(theMinute<10)
{
theMinute="0"+theMinute
}
document.write(greet+" it's "+theHour+":"+theMinute+" "+pam+" on
"+thisDay[theDay]+" the "+theDate+exten+" of "+thisMonth[theMonth]+"
"+theYear+".")
</script>

Don't hesitate to tell me if this script produces any problems. Although I
have spent enough time to check it but it is time dependent, therefore, it
is a little difficult to check it for all situations in a small span of
time.
Syed Zeeshan Haider,
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/