[thelist] apache virtual hosts

// kerin | airside.co.uk kerin at airside.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 12:10:36 CST 2002

hi all,

Does anyone know of any "Apache Virtual Hosts for dummies"-style
resources on the web? I've been battling with Apache on my dev linux box
for a couple of hours now, and nothing i do seems to make any difference.
I've read through all the Apache documentation, and I'm still getting nowhere.

This is a snippet of my httpd.conf file:

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1

#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
# The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
# server name.
#
#<VirtualHost *>
#    ServerAdmin webmaster at dummy-host.example.com
#    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
#    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
#    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
#    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
#</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
        ServerName music.airside.co.uk
        ServerAlias music
        DocumentRoot /www/servers/music
</VirtualHost>

i want to be ablt to enter http://music.airside.co.uk into my browser
(and do the same on the other machines on the network), and have apache
send the request to /www/servers/music. As far as i can see, Ive got the
httpd.conf file set up directly, but apache sends music.airside requests
to /www/servers, not /www/servers/music

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Kerin Cosford
Codemonkey
Airside