[thelist] apache virtual hosts

mbox937 at pop3.proteusweb.com mbox937 at pop3.proteusweb.com
Fri Jan 4 17:45:08 CST 2002

The linux box resolves music.airside.co.uk to 127.0.0.1 - the other machines on the network resolve music.airside.co.uk to 62.49.5.212 - the linux servers IP address. The other machines can ping it, and obviously the ping from the linux machine itself runs to the loopback 127.0.0.1 - if the other machines on the network go to http://music.airside.co.uk they get the default Apache index page - the same as if they went to http://dev.airside.co.uk

The other machines on the network have this as their hostfile (all Macs) :

dev.airside.co.uk A 62.49.5.212
music.airside.co.uk A 62.49.5.212

as I say, going to either brings up the same page - /www/servers/index.html - obviously I'm looking to get a request for music.airside.co.uk to be served up /www/servers/music/index.html instead...

As far as I can make out my httpd.conf file is fine. I havent been able to test the behaviour from the linux machine itself - the linux box ís just a dumb server with no X11 (or monitor/keyboard), so Ill have to put Lynx on it, which I havent gotten around to yet...