[thelist] Mail question

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Sun Jan 6 11:50:54 CST 2002

At 07:30 AM 1/6/2002, alan.lloyd0 at btinternet.com wrote:
>Hi
>Just wanted to know if anyone has any idea if I can use the mail program
>my web host provides to send regular mail from Outlook.
>I can use it to send mail using cgi but can i send regular mail through it.
>
>Unfortunatly my host provides incoming mail but no SMTP

Assuming they've locked out Public relay (I pray that they have locked out
public relay), you can only send mail through the server when the ISP has
setup some type of authentication with the SMTP service. Some tie that into
the POP service, so that when you successfully POP your IP is captured and
put into an acceptable IP relay pool (lasts about 30 minutes). Other ISPs
require SMTP authentication, using your POP username and address. Most
modern email clients have a setting for SMTP authentication.

Unless the ISP specifically states they allow the above scenarios, my guess
is that they won't allow any SMTP relaying through their servers.

---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys