[thelist] how secure to store credit cards

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Mon Jan 7 02:17:07 CST 2002

You dont have to keep the card number. You can place a hold for the
amount of the order on the card, and then push the transaction through
when the order ships. I forget the terminology, but it works the same
way when you rent a game console or high dollar item from someone like
Blockbuster. They secure the deposit on the card, but don't actually
charge it unless you don't return the item. Also, "shipped" is sort of a
relative term. If the items have been verified in stock, and the order
has been sent to the shipping department, it might be considered shipped
depending on who you are talking to.
Generally a bank is not going to get on the merchant's case about this
unless it's a new merchant account.

jon