OT: [thelist] web companies in NY

Fortune Elkins fortune_elkins at summithq.com
Wed Jan 9 10:17:19 CST 2002

this is the last i'll say on this subject. i think we all agree that '99
really was the final "great" year. that year, the average financial house
year-end bonus was said to be $3 million. secretaries were getting $250,000.

this money didn't vanish, people! it was turned into jewlery, mortgages,
re-invested in bonds, whatever. the new york times reported that the city's
economists estimated that the wealth of city's top 5% (this is an *income*
level that starts at about $1.1 mil.) saw their wealth double from
1994-1999. ok, so in 1995 you had 1 million, by 1999 you had 2 mil. not bad.

as someone on a more humble income level, i must say that in that time from
98-Y2K, my salary doubled. and i have been lucky enough to remain at this
level -- for the time being. (cross my fingers, knock on wood.) in this
economy, my good luck could end at any moment, i know! but as a result, i
have a better apartment, etc. there is still a ton of money in new york,
even among us plain middle-class folks.

as for the upper-east side princesses, i guess to be fair i should have also
described the downtown set, who have a slightly different set of status
markers. <Grin>

in the end, my advice remains: don't move to new york until you have job
first. intranet jobs seem more available than other kinds of web jobs. next
summer, next fall, it may be a different story. living in new york remains
magical. but getting set up now is a little harder. and bring plenty of cash
for that apartment.

back to work,

Systems Inc.