[thelist] Fwd: Re: [flasher] [Fwd: Flash Virus

kristina kristina at kfx-design.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 10:18:29 CST 2002

This is a forwarded message from another list regarding the flash
virus thread, that I thought may be of interest to others on this
list.

From: John Dowdell <jdowdell at macromedia.com>
To: flasher from chinwag <flasher at lists.chinwag.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 08, 2002, 10:41:07 PM
Subject: [flasher] [Fwd: Flash Virus

> So what can we as developers / designers do ???????

I'm not sure if you need to do anything, other than reassure your clients
that this has nothing whatsoever to do with viewing SWFs in browsers.

Here's an interim background statement from Macromedia. We hope to have the
anti-viral site amended soon, and will have it in a security section on our
site too.

> Macromedia was recently informed of a potential issue with the
> standalone Macromedia Flash Player running on Microsoft Windows.
> This issue does not affect web content viewed in a browser.
> After testing by both Macromedia and Sophos Anti-virus, the
> company who initially reported this potential issue, Macromedia
> has found that this issue can only affect content that is sent
> via email or downloaded from a site and then run outside a
> browser. E-mail users should never open or download attachments
> or data unless they can be sure it is from a trusted source.
> Macromedia appreciates the work of Sophos in reporting this
> potential issue, and will be issuing a patch later this week;
> a fix will also be included in future versions of the product.
> For more information on the patch please visit:
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/
> Macromedia will continue to take potential security issues
> very seriously."

This particular issue boils down to the usual "don't run attachments". But
we're still interested in hearing *any* security concerns you may run
across from your clients and their audiences... I believe that next week
the new Security Center on the Macromedia site should be up and running,
and this will be a central spot to document such issues. Thanks!

jd

hth
 kristina

kristina at kfx-design.co.uk