[thelist] web companies in NY

Jay Greenspan jay at trans-city.com
Wed Jan 9 10:49:56 CST 2002

> The problem with NYC is that it's NYC. There's an acute shortage of
> land in that part of the country, and the resulting cost of real estate
> is going to depress the local economy. Even when the rest of the
> country is booming, NYC only does so-so.
>
> "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere" is true - but it
> makes more sense to express it as "If you can survive in NYC, you can
> thrive anywhere else". That's why big cities are a place where good
> people start out and mediocre people end up. It ain't the unsuccessful
> ones that move to the burbs - and the *really* successful ones move
> *far* from the city.

Well, I wasn't intending to start a debate on either the nature of the
NY economy or, for that matter, the nature of wealth in the city. I will
say, however, that I disagree completely with *everything* in the
preceding two paragraphs. Instead of replying, I'll offer a tip, and
suggest that we put this thread to bed.

<tip type="mysql">
Looking forward to using transactions with MySQL's new table types?
Good. Before you get going, be aware that the two table types that offer
row-level locking and transactions use different models for their
locking mechanisms. Gemini, from NuSphere, uses a two-phase model, and
InnoDB uses a multi-versioning concurrency model. If you're not aware of
the difference, you should be. These different models at times require
slightly different queries in order to get the same result. Make sure to
check the MySQL manual and read about these locking mechanisms before
finalizing your applications.

</tip>