[thelist] ZWiki (plus Zope on meo)

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 9 22:48:04 CST 2002

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 11:49  pm, Dave W wrote:

> Apologies for posting to more than one email addresses - not sure which
> one
> to use to reach you.

No problem Dave - they pretty much all work, although I get to
different ones at different times.

> I'd be very interested in knowing what you think of Zwiki;
> how easy is it to set up and use,

Extremely easy to set up - throw the folder into your Zope
Products folder, restart the server and you've got it available.
I had it running on my OS X box within about 2 minutes.

In your Zope management interface (logged in as a user with
the appropriate permissions), just do "Add ZWiki Web" and
you're there.

You can then add pages WikiLike (ie edit a page and add a
WikiName in the text. When you view the page next, you'll
get a question mark label next to it which links to an Add
Page form), or through the Zope management interface with
"Add Zwiki Page".

> any good or bad points, etc.

Yes, make sure you install the full ZWiki Web product,
rather than limiting yourself to 'Add ZWiki Page'.

That version of ZWiki integrates *much* better with your
user ACL, hiding the add and edit functionality from non-
authorised users (although the concept is a bit alien to
the Wiki philosophy), rather than showing it and throwing
errors.

The full version gives you more control over look &
feel too as all the headers and footers are in the Zope
interface rather than hidden in the install folder.

Both versions though will nicely inherit permissions and
ACL from higher levels - if you're running something like
CMF site for the whole site, ZWiki will throw your users
to the pretty CMF login form for authorisation, rather
than Zope's basic htaccess type one.

> I'm thinking of using either Zwiki or Twiki on my employer's intranet
> site
> for much the same reasons you're using it; not having to teach people
> about
> HTML, FTP, Dreamweaver and every thing else that goes with them

True dat. Although Zope generally will give you that - ZWiki inherits
its structured text handling from Zope.

Have a play with the CMF Site - it's got a lot of nice features out
of the box (and it's free of course). If I were forced to choose a free
(both senses) CMS, that's the one I'd go for almost every time at the
moment.

You can try all this lot out for free at
http://www.zopesite.com/
although because they're on a home box running over ADSL, the
uptime isn't great.

Dan, what's the chances of installing Zope on meo?

Cheers
Martin

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,