[thelist] Re: Web Forms to Access DB?

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Jan 10 04:20:02 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi Rebecca

IIRC that's under direct db access (ie it's on a shared drive, and
up to 255 users are occasionally pulling and updating records).
So your max concurrency is one or two from a pool of 255.

That isn't the same as concurrent users in a web sense, where
you may be talking many concurrent users from a much larger
pool, demanding many queries (possibly) to load a single page,
and requesting a number of pages in a short period of time.

Even MS recommend not using Access on anything but the
smallest of production systems (of course, they've got SQL Server
to sell as an upgrade).

Maybe a balanced approach is to start with Access, monitor the
performance and when it's too slow, migrate up - viewing Access
very much as a temporary solution.

That's what we did here at evolt - we started off with Access until
the traffic killed us, at which point we decided to move over to
a production-strength database (Oracle, although other databases
may also have been OK). As I understand it, we could (and have)
coped with a slashdotting with not much impact beyond a bit of a
slowdown - nothing should actually fall over.

Dan should be able to provide more info about our level of robustness -
he's done a fair amount of load testing.

Martin

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org

Subject:  RE: [thelist] Re: Web Forms to Access DB?

According to Microsoft documentation, Access has a maximum of 255
concurrent
users. I have also heard that the number of users who can concurrently
access a single record is smaller; however, at the moment I am unable to
track down documentation of this. Keep in mind that the number of
concurrent
users is not the same as the number of people looking at info from a
database displayed in their browser.

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
computer.