[thelist] streaming and dhtml?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Jan 11 13:42:48 CST 2002

>Is streaming possible with DHTML?

Are you asking "How can I constantly update a page using DHTML?" If
so, you can reload a section of the page every n seconds by calling:

if (document.layers) {
	document.layers['update_area'].load(any_url,width);
	document.layers['update_area'].left=0;
}
else if (document.all) {
	document.all['update_area'].src = any_url;
}

and make your "updatebale" area on the page something like:

<iframe id="update_area" width="200" height="200" frameborder="0"
scrolling="no"></iframe>
width:200px; height:200px;"></div>

>I'm looking for a solution
>to stream live xml data into browser. Currently considering building the
>application in Flash, but getting some resistance from the client. Doesn't
>want to be dependent on the plug-in.

Flash is perfect for that ... unless you _know_ a large number of
visitors don't have the plug-in ... like from a particular company
that don't allow active-x or plug-ins. You could put it to your
client that you could do DHTML, but some browsers might get stuff
wrong, and some might not get it at all, or you could do it in Flash
and almost everybody will already will be able to see it and almost
everybody that can't could in two minutes if they wanted to ...

http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/