[thelist] how design affects ecommerce

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Fri Jan 11 15:22:26 CST 2002

<apply type="hat" name="consumer, user">

Yeah, it might not follow "normal sales practices", but I guess I happen
to hate "normal sales practices".  I don't like being asked disingenuous
questions by a sales person at a store, especially questions that are so
transparently designed to either gather demographics on me or
upsell/crosssell within their inventory.  I'll gladly answer a genuine
"How are you" or a question designed to help me find what I'm looking
for - and I'll just as gladly lie about my zipcode/age (except in
state-mandated situations: liquor, cigarettes, etc)/occupation/etc.
should I be asked.

The same applies to an online transaction - when I buy a CD, a website
don't need to know ANYTHING about me but my shipping address, credit
card, and possibly phone number.  Knowing anything else won't help them
put a CD in a box, slap a shipping label on it and set it on the loading
dock for UPS to pick up.

As a consumer, I'm baffled why price comparision databases like
pricescan.com, mysimon.com, dealtime.com, and pricegrabber.com can show
me "approximate shipping", which close enough for me, while most of the
ecom sites they link to hide that from me until the last possible
moment.

Also as a consumer/user, I don't see why the BS of being locked into a
purchase because you're in line and people will get annoyed if you
interrupt the flow should be replicated in an online transaction.
There's no line, no checker, nobody to get annoyed but a programmer
who's got to code the shopping cart/checkout stuff and who now has to do
more work.  And frankly, I don't care if the programmer gets annoyed.
(Don't get annoyed programmers, I'm a programmer too)

Granted, I don't *need* to know shipping costs and taxes up front, but I
need to know them before I put in a credit card number, and preferably
before I put in my name and address - a zip code should be sufficient.
But if I do know the shipping costs up front, I'm happy - there's no
surprises.  If I have to wait until I'm about to check out, I dread the
surprise shipping charges, and if they're out of line (in my mind), I'll
cancel the order and be pissed off that this website wasted my time.

</apply>

--Brent