[thelist] Netscape 4 is evil?

Moe Rubenzahl moe at maxim-ic.com
Fri Jan 11 20:40:35 CST 2002

Saw your request for comment on <http://www.chadsavage.com>. Also saw
your comment that it's designed for CSS and HTML 4.01:

>...Netscape 4.x will mangle it beyond recognition. Netscape 4.x is
>EVIL. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

I am unclear on what you're trying to accomplish. If it's a design
exercise, then I have no issues. But if you intend people to see your
site, I think this is odd.

I happen to dislike Netscape Navigator but many of my customers use
it, so I support it. Using Netscape Navigator 4.7 on Mac, your site
looks bad and the links don't work. Is that satisfactory to you? Are
you willing to lose those customers who choose Netscape Navigator 4?
Apparently so.

You could at least do a browser detect and offer an alternate page.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I would never hire a designer whose
page has elements that deliberately exclude part of the audience
without very good reason. I think we have an obligation to know our
audience and cater to their needs.