[thelist] beta site using Authorize.net

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 13 12:53:43 CST 2002

> From: Kristy Frey <kristenannfrey at yahoo.com>
>
> A Lot of good suggestions.

glad there's something useful in there...

> Just to cover a few things:
> I dont get to determine what form fields are asked for and what is
> required because I'm just the programmer (i work for the state - we
> have commitees that meet all the time to decide this - I wish i was
> kidding)

ok, that i can dig... but there are two cases where as the
programmer i would think you *can* affect how it's represented...
make the label for the middle initial field not red (so it doesn't claim
to be required when it really isn't), and don't require salutation since
you have a 'no answer' option anyway... that's three extra clicks
just to leave that option 'blank'...

> --- aardvark <roselli at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > - wider than my 640 window...
>
> By about 60 right? My main table width is 700. "they* made me do it"
> *people higher than me that thought 640 looked too narrow.

actually, if the width is 700, it's at least 100px too wide... 640
windows with chrome give you about 580-600px of width... but why
not liquid?  then you don't have to worry so much, and it's not like
this design doesn't lend itself to liquid well...  your fields can be
shorter, or wrap, as well...  as an example, this site has a
shopping cart that fits in a 640 window and all the fields have labels:

http://righteousbabe.com/store/stickers.asp

another site with the same cart:
http://greatarrow.com/cards/Detail.asp?intOccasion=3&intPage=1&i
ntrecord=6
(just add the card to the cart and move through the order process)

the sites are old and the HTML is a bit out of date, but from the UI
end, i think you might see what i was working toward...

[...]
> Email receipt is the standard Authorize.net receipt.  They actually
> generate it.  I only get to pass header and footer.

that's what i feared...

> > - my transaction expired?  i only left the computer to get all the
> > things i wanted on my brick, then my mom called, and the sauce was
> > burning... ugh... ok, fake scenario aside, you could use hidden
> > fields to hold the data independent of sessions if you just didn't
> > ask for personal info up-front like socsec number... oh, wait, you
> > do... and yet it expires?  hmm...
>
> I expire after an hour. Frankly I'm paranoid about session stealing.
> (http://www.evolt.org/article/Session_Hijacking_Cold_Fusion_Dynamic_Pr
> oxies/20/3516/index.html) I might be convinced to extend it to 2
> hours. (3 for buy a brick)

i wouldn't up the session timeout... i'd not rely on it by not requiring
sensitive info before the brick form... but again, it sounds like you
don't have that flexibility here...

> > - what's with the embedded (instead of linked) CSS?  and the
> > styles you call that aren't up there?
>
> That section is created dynamically because I have given UB Schools
> and Units access to change things like color settings, fonts, logos,
> etc.  The entire page is created according to which school or unit at
> UB links to it (I only gave the link to the generic page).  Some
> examples:
[...]

dig... cool... btw, that RPCI logo seems a bit odd...  lemme know if
you need a better one...

> As for the styles not up there - I think you are referring to the
> classes on many of the table components.  They are there for future
> use (when, if ever, stylesheets become the absolute standard).
> Currently, many properties (table or cell backgroung colors padding
> and alignment
) are set right on the tag because the site still needs
> to look "somewhat" ok on older browsers. Eventually, I'd like more of
> the properties to be set by the style (When we decide we will no
> longer support Netscape 3).

gotcha...

> Wow that's a lotta stuff...

yeah, i'm a jerk like that...