[thelist] how design affects ecommerce

Peter Van Dijck peter.vandijck at vardus.com
Mon Jan 14 08:29:18 CST 2002

> > Is it just me or is there a blatant contradiction in what Mia posted?
> > She's willing to give her shipping information on a website before she
is
> > ready to "check out", but giving her phone number on the phone is giving
> > away valuable demographics information?

I happened to be doing usability testing of an ecommerce site together with
the call centre of it a month or so ago, and one of the interesting results
was that people were MORE inclined to give out information that's considered
"personal" (like telephone number, date of birth) on the website than
through the call centre. The differences were quite pronounced.

Peter