[thelist] ASP/open source/static/dynamic sites pro's and con's

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 16:54:55 CST 2002

Thanks for all the useful input guys.

I learned stuff:

Dynamic sites *can* be indexed by search engines.
(any links that show how to make that work are appreciated)

Big sites should be based on a data/template solution for easy maintenance.

ASP will probably cost more than open source.

Go with what the client needs.

So:

If they have ASP people and have outstanding business reasons to use ASP I
gotta learn ASP. (So any excellent tutorial links much appreciated!)

In the case under discussion I doubt they have any existing infrastructure.

What I'm going to do (if you're interested?)

I'm going to show them what I have.

When they see what I have developed already that might please them. It is a
database/template solution,  it just generates a static site.  It meets 95%
of their project description today, with mods it will meet all but the ASP
part (duh!)

The ftp updating is a minor downside (the application tracks changes and
flags changed files for upload, which is automatically done by built in ftp
client)

I think it's more robust because I don't have to spend their money on
securing the server and database.

If the database goes down, the site is still accessible.

They can concentrate on the database updating, I get maintenance of the
templates and enhancements.

I'm going to learn ASP - looks like i'm going to need it next time.

So

Thanks again guys.

Tony