[thelist] ASP/open source/static/dynamic sites pro's and con's

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 17:06:33 CST 2002

> From: "Tony Crockford" <tonyc at boldfish.co.uk>
[...]
> Dynamic sites *can* be indexed by search engines.
> (any links that show how to make that work are appreciated)

many of the search engine resources have some info on that...
you can hack the URL:
http://spider-food.net/dynamic-page-optimization-b.html

or you can rely on the updates to SEs that allow them to now read
pages with query strings appended to the URL...  google, for
instance, now reads these pages:
http://spider-food.net/dynamic-page-optimization-c.html

> Big sites should be based on a data/template solution for easy
> maintenance.

well, that's my take...

> ASP will probably cost more than open source.

not if they already have licenses... are they an MSDN shop, for
instance?  will it be hosted somewhere else?  and if so, no, ASP
shouldn't cost anything there, just hosting... otherwise, for an ASP
development environment, crack out the MSDN kit...

> Go with what the client needs.

oh yeah...

> So:
>
> If they have ASP people and have outstanding business reasons to use
> ASP I gotta learn ASP. (So any excellent tutorial links much
> appreciated!)
[...]

search on the site:
http://evolt.org/search/index.html?keywords=ASP