[thelist] ASP/open source/static/dymanic sites pro's and con's

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Mon Jan 14 20:59:50 CST 2002

> anyone know of any compelling reasons why a local government office
> should not use ASP? has Microsoft any cunning plans to control it, now
> or in the near future?

If they do we would not know until they did.... For all of his powers
Superman could never guess Lex Luther's next move...  Microsoft
probably does have plans to control everything, they just haven't
debugged the program that does it yet...

> Would open source PHP/MySQL be better for dynamic sites or would it be
> better still to generate a static site from an offline database?

One problem we've found with local government is that they want to
spread the spending to many consituents in their community,
preferring to place the site on a local machine owned by a
constituent other than the designer. That may limit the platforms and
programs available for the designer. It's always a good idea to nail
down where the hosting will take place before considering anything
else.

keith