[thelist] Beware! TurboTax 2001 Automatically Installs IE5.5

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Jan 15 15:02:22 CST 2002

Pat,

> If any on the list use TurboTax, be warned.... it will automatically
install
> IE5.5 when you install the program. No, you don't get a choice and it
> doesn't even come with the patches. No apologies from Intuit, either.

    I certainly empathize with your frustration, and agree that such forced
upgrades are not customer-friendly. In fairness to Intuit, though, its
website (and presumably its TurboTax packaging, as well) does state "I.E.
5.5 or higher required" for TurboTax [1].
    IIRC, you had asked several days ago (I think without response?) what
the changes are in IE 5.5 from earlier versions of IE. Microsoft does
provide a decent summary of these changes on MSDN in a section titled
"What's New in Internet Explorer 5.5 " [2] (with the article "What's New in
Internet Explorer 5.5 (Script)" [3] being among the most worthwhile).

James Aylard

1.
http://www.shopintuit.com/Store/SysRequirements.ASP?BaseCode=TTW2001&Priorit
yCode=5070000