[thelist] Help with SQL/CF

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Jan 15 21:53:08 CST 2002

>Basically I need to create an application the first setups X number of
>databases to hold records for each school entered (or are they called
>tables?). Once setup, I need to be able to have a new user signup in
>whatever school they want. Then they can login and see a list of events
>in the database for that school only. Also a user can signup as an admin
>person if they have the correct password and page view/ect.

You're going to want just one database  - you would want a "schools"
table and an "events" table and each row in the events table would
contain a "foreign key" which refers to the row in the "schools"
table with info about the school at which the event is being held.

Some people don't like it, but I recommend Ben Forta's Cold Fusion
Web Application Construction Kit - it's great for answering these
types of general concept questions ... you can just sit there and
read the first four - 6 chapters away from your computer and you'll
finish knowing exactly what you need to do to build such an
application.

>So that's what I'm doing. But now where do I begin? First off, is there
>a way in Cold Fusion to create a database? Or do I have to do this
>manually? If so, how do I set this up manually in SQL?

You use SQL Server's Enterprise Manager to create new databases ...
then register the datasource in in the CF Administrator.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/