[thelist] skipping 'hx' levels is bad (was Re: icons for the tip harvester (was Re: [thesite] Re: [***forum] page)

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Wed Jan 16 12:14:52 CST 2002

[moved from elsewhere]

> >>also, can we skip <h2> and go right to <h3> from an <h1>?
> >>

> > can we?  absolutely
>

> Well of course. People do it all the time.
>

> > should we?  that's arguable
>

> Not if we're going to set a good example. We need to maintain the
hierarchy.

> > the pros/cons of the argument might make for a good article, eh?
>

> Using evolt.org as a good example of why you always should. :)
>

> > i have yet to find a definitive resource on the web that explains to me
> > clearly why skipping a level is "bad"

How will text readers react to improperly nested outlining?

Would this break if you were building the page dynamically from a db, with
xml, whatever?

(More below Mr. McCreath's excellent comments)

> If you find yourself wanting to skip from <h1> to <h3>, then you need to
> examine your writing. There's probably an <h2> that should be put
> between the two, even if it's just one sentence, or in the case of what
> I'm doing on the mock up, just the header itself.
>
> Alternatively, your orphaned <h3> section could be moved up in the
> hierarchy.
>
> Of course, that's a very strict interpretation, both in terms of writing
> and layout, but since HTML was intended to mark up written
> documentation, I stand by that interpretation. YOMV (your opinion may
vary).

> David

It's not just a code/web/standards issue, it is, as David points out, a
writing issue. Fair warning; if no one beats me to it, this article's mine.

joel