[thelist] skipping 'hx' levels is bad

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Jan 16 13:21:11 CST 2002

rudy wrote:

>>[moved from elsewhere]
>>
>mccreath wrote:
>>Of course, that's a very strict interpretation...
>
> perhaps not strict enough

I'm rarely accused of not being strict enough when giving my opinion, so
I guess I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

> lemme ask you, does your interpretation allow P text inserted "in between"
> these heading levels, like an introductory paragraph?

Of course. You could have pages of information under an <hx> before you
get to the point of needing one.

>    <h1>stooges</h1>
>    <h2>curly</h2>
>    <h2>larry</h2>
>    <h2>moe</h2>
>
> since you are a markup fanatic, tell me where that last paragraph gets
> parsed in the document hierarchy

Under "moe". To HTML, there is no indication of the "outdent" that you
illustrate for your last paragraph.

> now tell me how to fix it so that it's as "pure and semantically correct"
> as not skipping an H level

Like aard said,

<h2>wrapup</h2>

Simple! Even in print, where structure can be demonstrated visually
without the use of headers, you'd want to demarcate that wrapup as such.

> YOMNCM  (your opinion may never convince me)
>
> ;o)

Yeah, you probably have issues you with Strunck & White, too, don't you?
Troublemaker.

David