[thelist] skipping 'hx' levels is bad

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Jan 16 17:07:08 CST 2002

rudy wrote:

>>Like aard said,
>>
>><h2>wrapup</h2>
>>
>>Simple! Even in print, where structure can be demonstrated visually
>>without the use of headers, you'd want to demarcate that wrapup as such.
>
> could you please reconcile "without the use of headers" and "demarcate"

If I'm designing a document and it's got a main section with a leading
argument or proposition, then three sub sections for supporting the
argument, and a wrapup that recaps the proposition and makes the closing
argument, I'm going to make sure that somebody can tell when I get to
the end of the third subsection. If I'm going to do that without a
header, I have a few options. Off the top of my head:

* increase the lefthand margin of the subsections (indent them) and then
set the margin of the wrapup back to the margin of the intro.

* increased spacing between the last paragraph of subsection 3 and the
wrapup

* horizontal rule before the wrapup

It depends entirely on the document, but I be cautious any of those in
lieu of a good header unless the author/editor had some compelling
reason to do so.

> see, that's my whole point (and i think liorean alluded to this) -- you

[ ... snip ... ]

I can't add anything to what aardvark said.

HTML is by its nature limited and structural. You'll be much happier
with XML.

>>Yeah, you probably have issues you with Strunck & White, too, don't you?
>>Troublemaker.
>
> strunk

You know what's funny about that. For some reason I thought might be a
"c" in there. So I googled it, and got back *lots* of results that
listed "Strunck" and "White". Silly me.

> i prefer fowler, actually

Have you ever read "The King's English : A Guide to Modern Usage" by
Kingsley Amis? It's a scream.

I got it on the bargain table at a local bookstore, but I'd recommend it
at full price, even.

David