[thelist] Form CSS styles

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Thu Jan 17 13:14:00 CST 2002

Andrew Clover wrote:

> David McCreath <mccreath at ak.net> wrote:
>
>>* I haven't found a way yet to style the "Browse" button on an
>><input type="file"> tag.
>
> Here's a sort-of solution to that one:
>
>   http://and.doxdesk.com/software/js/upload.html

Interesting approach, but not really worth the effort for my current
situation. Our intranet is primarily accessed through Macs, and many,
many people refuse to let go of NC 4.7. Plus, there are currently only a
couple of instances of that input type on our entire intranet. I just
decided to live with the gray button (our default form buttons are white).

>>* All browsers seem to have problems applying style widths to <input
>>type="selects">.
>
> You mean <select>? I've no problem with CSS 'width: ...' on select in IE4+,
> Opera 5.12+, Mozilla. There are other styles that don't apply well to
> <select> and <option> in IE because it still uses the OS's built-in
> menu widgets to implement them, but width is okay AFAIK.

True, that was something of an overstatement. :)

It's been a while since I played with them, but perhaps I'll go back and
play around. Again, the NC 4.7 issue prevents it from being terribly
useful for my day-to-day work, but I've had few freelance gigs recently
where it would have been useful.

David