[thelist] question - homepage? webpage? website

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Thu Jan 17 18:36:32 CST 2002

> by "site" do you mean the whole domain? everything that is
> made to "go together"? every page within a domain that can
> be accessed by following links from the home page? What if
> I set up site blah.com but provide ecommerce functionality
> through shoppingutility.com - is this one web site, or is
> it two web sites?

I would say that a site is defined as the bits that are part of the
same logical structure.  For example, each of the different
neighborhood address folders on the GeoCities domain (ie,
geocities.com/Athens/8569/) would be considered it's own site, just as
prydain.com and webscissors.prydain.com are definitely different sites
(even though they're on the same server & domain).

The questions still remains, though, as to whether different
sub-domains for the same overall application would be considered one
site or several.  The example that comes to mind would be all of the
Yahoo! subdomains.  Is maps.yahoo.com the same "site" as yp.yahoo.com?
They share the same UI and are interconnected in many places, and yet
they could each stand alone as seperate sites if they needed to.

It's just a matter of semantic, I suppose.  But my guess is that most
people would consider them one site.  The primary exception would
probably be people who are working on the different apps on the back
end, who would think of them as different sites because they are
maintained by different groups.

--ray