[thelist] http://www.webskeleton.com - site review for all browsers

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Fri Jan 18 04:36:06 CST 2002

Hi,
a few things:
If you're going to keep the color-changing thing, make sure it persists
accross the site, as now clicking the "webskeleton" link looses the styling.
I would put a little more work into the logo, and heading.
The logo should link to the main-page, especially if it looks like a button.
Maybe add an outline to the yellow title.

The text on the frontpage, and the services page is too alike - looks like
cut'n'paste.
The text itself could definately use some more attention...

Are you profiling yourself correctly? You say:
"Webskeleton is a Canadian web design company "
This would tend to mean multiple employees, legal department, offices a
client can visit etc, and... expensive.
If you are a freelance, or small setup, it might be better to profile
yourself as such.

"be it to dispense your information and ideas "
That doesn't sound right...

"Our design philosophy is to create a final product"
So you don't do on-going contracts, or allow the website to grow as the
customers business does?

"that not only makes an impression on the viewer but can also be appreciated
by those who understand the intricate details of web design and development"
That is definately not good - I learnt by making mistakes, that customers
don't give a rat's-arse about the finer aspects of web-design - they want
the site to work for them and THEIR customers, not for critical webdesigners
who happen to drop in.
And again, fiddling around with intricate details sounds... expensive.

"or to sell your hand-crafted goods"
Well... to sell any sort of goods I would think.

"With each web site competing with 20 million others "
Is that the correct figure? or could it be 2 mil, or 200 mil?
why not - "competing with millions of others" ?

"you need someone like us"
Why not "we will help you" or something like that to tell the customer why
they should choose you, over one of the others?

*****full text***
Webskeleton is a Canadian web design company offering services for
development of web pages ranging from online shops to rich multimedia sites.
We work hard at making your web site, so your prospects shine brighter and
you don't have to work as hard. There has never been a better time to mark
your presence online and globally... be it to dispense your information and
ideas or to sell your hand-crafted goods.

Our design philosophy is to create a final product, that not only makes an
impression on the viewer but can also be appreciated by those who understand
the intricate details of web design and development. With each web site
competing with 20 million others for a mark on the web, you need someone
like us, who recognize the underlying principles to achieve high usability,
design and functionality.
****

Cheers,
Richard.