[thelist] employment question

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Fri Jan 18 10:21:31 CST 2002

Hi Peter,

Just to second Chris's remarks about the pay - it ain't much as an
outside industry person as opposed to being a salaried faculty member.
{Which usually makes the 'market' for this pretty good - since a
department can save some budget funds and/or offer more classes and/or
improve their federal/state 'headcount' compensation numbers ... by
bringing in some industry folks.}  Try getting an appointment on the
Department head's calendar.

I did the "visiting guy from industry teaching a class" thing a few
years ago.  [Taught a Statistics class at a State University. Many of
the folks I used to work with taught Stat or Econ or things 'on the
side' ... I figured it was my turn.]

I will tell you that the first time you teach a class like this - it is
an *enormous* amount of work.  [My understanding from other folks is
that the more times you teach the class the 'easier' it gets for you -
the University invited me to continue teaching - but I moved out of
State and didn't get to do that.]

There are, however, other rewards than the cash.  It can be quite a bit
of fun.

OTOH - It can also be a bit frustrating when you see how ridiculous the
course syllabus is!

RonL.