[thelist] probably simple SQL question

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Fri Jan 18 11:51:54 CST 2002

Marc Seyon <seyon at delime.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Am guessing Access would be one of those...

I don't know about the semicolon, but that doesn't really matter: there's
no significant difference between doing it like that and doing it in two
seperate INSERTs. It's transactions that make this secure-or-not-secure.

> If this wasn't such a small project I'd consider a more robust database.

For most non-critical web applications it's not massively important to
enforce complete consistency using transactions, but I'd consider using
a more robust database anyway. Access is a desktop database, and Jet is not
a 'real' database server as such. In practice I have had unexplained hangs
in accessing MDBs through ODBC even with test-phase websites under no
significant load.

When you can get a proper database server with transactions and everything
for free (eg. MySQL/InnoDB for Windows) I see no reason to stick with
Access. If you like its interface, you can still use it as a front-end to
the database server through SQL, which is handy too.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://and.doxdesk.com/