[thelist] Custom content filtering using IP address

Shoshannah Forbes xslf at xslf.com
Sat Jan 19 04:18:57 CST 2002

>Two things you can do:
>1) If it's language-specific filtering you need, then you can use content
>  negotiation (Apache will do this for you very sweetly)
> 2) If users register, then use their country of registration info, if
> you've    got permission to do so.

Be carful here- always give your users an option of changing this
information manully.
For example, I am in France, but I prefer to surf in Hebrew (or English. My
French is still very poor). The first time I go to google.com, it serves me
the French version (althugh French is *NOT* in my browser accept language
list), and I had to click on a link in order to set a cookie that tells is
to serve me the English version. Now think what would have heppned if it
haden't given me that link (or an option via the prefrences)- I would have
been stuck in a French site, while I do not know French, because I am in
France at the moment...