[thelist] JS script interfering with table rendering

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Sat Jan 19 21:42:17 CST 2002

Flavia

> I have a page that has a canned drop down menu script and also has a
> table with data being extracted from a db..... The problem is that the
> script messes up with the table rendering in Netscape only. It will
> start rendering fine, you see the table for a second then the script
> pops up and the table hiccups and disappear... It only happens in
> Netscape and not in IE. I have checked all the tags for unclosed
> table, td and tr tags but there is nothing wrong there. If you have
> two windows open and you toggle to another window while the table is
> rendering when you toggle back the table shows fine but if you have
> just that window open and keep waiting for the table to show it will
> be in vain.... Has anyone here seen anything like that?

Yup! Sure have. You'll probably find that the problem is in the
javascript, not the tables or html. Look for an instance of trying to
use a variable that for some reason is not defined, Netscape
sometimes stops there without issuing an error and finishs the task
of renduring but returning a *false* condition. Returning a false
condition keeps Netscape from "closing" the "open" for the
document renduring. I've only had it happen once, just recently. Had
to find the problem with IE's debugger too, about the only time I've
ever seen that debugger correctly identify the problem.

Hope that's your problem, otherwise who knows........

keith