[thelist] Use of "replace" method in JavaScript

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Sun Jan 20 09:35:28 CST 2002

Syed Zeeshan Haider <zeeshan_paki at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can somebody explain me the use of "replace" method in JavaScript

What object? Only 'replace' method I can think of is window.location.replace.
Moves to a new page without keeping the previous one in history - typically
used as a "poor man's redirect" by people without access to proper HTTP
redirects, and client-side browser-sniffing scripts. Support: Netscape 3+
and pretty much all other JavaScript browsers.

Oh, and there's String.replace, for regular expression-based string
manipulation. docs:

  http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsref/string.htm#1194258

Support: Netscape 4+, IE4+, Mozilla, not Opera.

Were either of those the replace you were thinking of?

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://and.doxdesk.com/