[thelist] probably simple SQL question

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Sun Jan 20 12:03:09 CST 2002

Jeff <jeff at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> if you're lucky enough to be on a host that has the latest version (4.0)
> installed.  if not, then you don't have the fail-safe of transactions.

Yes, or one of the 3.23-with-InnoDB-installed range, eg. MySQL-max. But
yeah, if you're not on your own server you're at the mercy of whatever
your hosts have installed. What an intolerable situation! ;-)

> imo, there are other *much* bigger obstacles in the way of using mysql in an
> enterprise application.

True - but then 99% of web applications aren't 'enterprise' applications
of course.

> it doesn't yet support nested subqueries, foreign
> key integrity rules, or even stored procedures which are all staples in a
> performance minded application developer's toolbox.

Agree fully on subqueries, having to move them into the application can be
a real pain. But I've always really hated Stored Procedures. It just seems
such an awful idea to put application logic in the database, for
maintainability and for compatibility. Especially where web applications
are concerned.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com