[thelist] content templates with ASP and SQL - converting hard returns to <p></p>

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Mon Jan 21 11:40:16 CST 2002

Short version:
How do I capture the hard returns in a textarea form field and convert them
to HTML tags?

Longish version:
I need to come up with a content management system for certain parts of our
external website quickly. In the long run we'll probably turn certain areas
of the site over to the appropriate departments via a full-blown CMS, but
we're not ready for the big software purchase yet.

In the interim, if I can provide online forms to populate templates that
would suffice. We have an RTF>HTML convert someone here wrote in Perl which
we may use later, but right now they can post plain text (no formatting.)

How do I capture the hard returns in a textarea form field and convert them
to HTML tags? (I know this was discussed recently on thelist, but I just
can't find it in the archives; probably not using the right terminology.)

Also, any input on a CMS that's quick, or inexpensive, or easy to implement
are appreciated. We're primarily a Windows shop and my skills are ASP/MSSQL
but we can implement whatever's the right tool whether it fits our current
config or not.

Many thanks.

joel