[thelist] document.body.clientHeight problems in IE6?

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Jan 22 17:46:07 CST 2002

Ben,

> If this is the case, it's because - contrary to the approach taken in
> IE5.5 - IE6 considers document.body.clientHeight to be equivalent to to
> something /other than/ the height of the browser canvas, most likely the
> combined offsetHeight of some other subset of elements.

    I think you'll find your answer here:

"To comply with the Cascading Style Sheets, Level 1 (CSS1)  box model,
Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6 and later calculate the height of objects
differently when you use the !DOCTYPE declaration in your document to switch
on standards-compliant mode. This difference may affect the value of the
offsetHeight propety [sic]. When standards-compliant mode is switched on,
the height property specifies the distance between the top and bottom edges
of the bounding box that surrounds the object's content. When
standards-compliant mode is not switched on, and with earlier versions of
Internet Explorer, the height property also includes the border and padding
belts that surround the object's bounding box. For more information, see CSS
Enhancements in Internet Explorer 6." [1]

> Further, I've yet to be given a compelling reason to upgrade:
>
> a.  I'm not seeing enough IE6 users to justify wiping-out IE5.5 (I only
>     own one system);

    You might take a look at VMware Workstation [2].

> b.  I've had all of two people tell me that IE6 is *that* great;

    It's pretty good, IMO.

> c.  Nowhere have I been able to get a clear synopsis of the changes
>     (tech-wise) from IE5.5 to IE6.

    Again, MSDN. [3]

James Aylard

1.