[thelist] Linux diskwipe tool?

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Wed Jan 23 04:52:35 CST 2002

Philippe Jadin wrote:

> 1. Format / delete / wathever
> 2. Fill them with other stupid data (I really mean *fill* them)
> 3. Format again
>
> Does it make sense ?

I am dealling with the same type of thing at work at the moment, we use
gdisk to wipe to drives.  It is the command line tool that symantec
include with ghost.  It has a switch "-dodwipe" that, when deleteing a
partition, writes random data to the sepace *9* times before tagging the
sector clean.  It is called dodwipe because it is apparently secure
enough to please the Dept. of Defence.  There is also an option to
customise thise to repeat the process more / less than 9 times.

I don't have the manual on hand, but if you want to contact me offlist,
I can try go into a bit more detail when I get back into the office.

--
Michael Pemberton
mpember at phreaker.net
ICQ: 12107010