[thelist] Netscape 6.1: No referer in https mode

muinar muinar at gmx.net
Wed Jan 23 10:22:22 CST 2002

Thanks Andrew

At 14:48 23.01.02 +0000, you wrote:
> > I tested it after I found out to my horror that a signup form doesn't
> > work with this browser - AuthorizeNet requires a valid referer!
>
>I would complain to AuthorizeNet. I don't know if Mozilla sends no
>referrer info deliberately (can't find anythign about it in Bugzilla),

I checked with a little PHP script and voilà - NS 6.1 and 6.2 didn't
send any referer data, while I got a perfect URL from other browsers.

>but it's perfectly valid for a browser to send no Referer: header, or
>for it to be stripped out by proxies, and so on. It's an optional header.

Didn't know that. But true - AuthorizeNet requires me so far to set up
referer URLs. I thought that this is really a major payment service provider,
so I wonder how others are setting it up. Are new NS versions simply left out
by AuthorizeNet credit card payments? Or is there still something I'm
overlooking?