[thelist] Monitor/Video Card recommendations

Daniel Frey danieljohnfrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 14:00:21 CST 2002

Chris,

The shadowing effect is definitely due to your monitor.  You might want
to try manually futzing with your vertical/horizontal positioning and
vert/horiz screen size.  Don't forget to hit that degauss button, too!
Also, make sure you have the latest driver for your monitor, and check
your video refresh rate.  I've seen that problem on very old monitors,
from plain old age.

The wavy problem (is it localized to one portion/corner of your screen?)
is probably magnetic interference.  If you've ever had the unfortunate
opportunity of opening up a device that uses a CRT, you'll notice the
"neck" or harness of the tube has some very powerful magnets on it.
Without going in to too much detail, any electromagnetic interference
(unshielded speakers, motors, other CRTs) can cause some funny effects.
Sometimes this can be fixed by changing your refresh rate, but usually
you need to remove the source of interference.

If you go plasma/flat screen, problem solved.  I still wouldn't suggest
exposing any electronic equipment to a strong magnetic field of any
kind, but something like a speaker, etc. shouldn't cause you any
problems.

Hope this helps,

Dan