[thelist] server side page push to every nth user?

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Wed Jan 23 14:50:56 CST 2002

Dave,

In order to do this, you'll need some sort of client side scripting.  There
is no way around this requirement.  You'll need to employ JS or VBScript (if
your clients are all IE, that is) to open the popup window.

The general concept is that you'll need to keep track of the count of all
page requests and include the client side code (most likely JS) to open the
popup window if some mathematical number crunching of the count implies you
have should display the popup.  The number crunching may be doing a modulus
on the number of page views when the current page was requested, or you
could examine a counter (that increments for every page view), and reset it
back to zero once you have a winner.  Whatever winds your clock.

I know that I have provided no particulars, but neither have you.  :)  If
you can identify for us what your server side environment is (PHP, Perl,
JSP, ASP, CF, etc) then someone will probably chime in with a more focused
answer.  Until then, hopefully the above explanation gives you the general
idea of what needs to happen.

-joshua