[thelist] httpd.conf

Philippe Jadin all at 123piano.com
Thu Jan 24 02:32:42 CST 2002

noah wrote:

> I'm having a fairly serious problem with my (remote) Apache server.
>
> I was modifying the httpd.conf file - before I started, I made a
> backup (httpd.conf.bak). After making some modifications, I decided to
> discard them, so I deleted the modified httpd.conf and copied
> httpd.conf.bak to httpd.conf.
>
> Unfortunately, http access is not working at all now, even though that
> file is identical to the one that was there before. I thought maybe I
> needed to restart the daemon, so I typed "httpd" and got:
>
> Syntax error on line 8 of /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command LogFormat
>
> The string LogFormat does not appear anywhere in the httpd.conf file,
> let alone on line 8. (I don't even care that LogFormat is a valid
> command, I'm not using it anyway).
>
> This is a fairly serious problem, since I have a lot of sites down at
> the moment.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Noah

I'm not sure that typing httpd would restart apache. You'd better try
'apachectl graceful' this should restart apache for you, also man
apachectl will give you another option that lets you check your
httpd.conf file before restarting (iirc).

Also worth checking twice that you are sure the httpd.conf file is the
right one.

Good luck :)

Philippe