[thelist] testing html stripper..

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Jan 24 14:52:00 CST 2002

At 01:38 AM 1/25/2002, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:
>Does an HTML stripper strip 'for' HTML?  Or does it does it strip 'the'
>HTML?
>Are we going to see HTML stripper clubs now? HTML strippers at bachelor
>parties?
>an XML stripper?)

Well... you have to tip thelist for off-topic posts, remember :)

<tip type="Job hunting" author="Madhu Menon">

If you're hunting for a new job, you've probably thought of blasting 500
copies of your resume to these placement "agencies".

Don't.

It makes you a commodity; one among several thousand. You want to be seen
as unique, not a commodity.

Agencies receive thousands of applications. They are essentially keyword
scanners. Many have no real idea of the requirements for a position beyond
specs like "3 years experience using PHP/Linux/mySQL".

Sadly, HR personnel are no different. Their job is more to "filter out"
people than "filter in". Explain the details of a content management system
you built in record time, and your HR dude's eyes will probably glaze over.

To improve your chances of getting a good job, you have to find a company
where you'd like to work. If you know of an opening there, try your best to
initiate contact with the department manager who will ultimately hire you.
This will give you a big lead over people who have to pass the keyword scan
test. Impress this guy, show him or her how you can add value to the
company, and you may find yourself in a new job.

A good site for job hunting guidance is www.asktheheadhunter.com

</tip>

Madhu
PS: If any of you have stupid interview questions that you'd like to share
(e.g., "what are your strengths and weaknesses"), please email. I'm writing
an article on them.

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net