[thelist] Layers and wonderful, wonderful Netscape 4.7 with JS disabled

Ben Gustafson ben_gustafson at lionbridge.com
Thu Jan 24 16:31:01 CST 2002

I am stacking a bunch of absolutely positioned child layers (using DIV
tags) within a relatively positioned parent layer. Only one of child
layers is visible. Both the stacking and the visibility work in Netscape
4.7, until I disable JavaScript, in which case all the layers become
visible and un-stacked. This is the case whether the style of the child
layers is declared in the DIV tags or in a CSS class declaration in the
head of the document. And I still have the "Enable style sheets"
checkbox checked, which would make you think that disabling JavaScript
wouldn't affect stylesheets. But noooo....

Any of you DHTML/Netscape-4.x-workaround gurus know a fix? Here's the
HTML:

visible; z-index: 1;">
Layer 1
z-index: 2;">