[thelist] dynamic table sorting and column display

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Jan 24 17:47:00 CST 2002

>But I'd like to avoid the roundtrip to the database to add another column
>for display.  I'd like to preload all the columns available and let the
user
>decide which ones to display.  Turning on all the columns will result in a
>large page, scrolling horizontally.  The user will probably only be
showing
>4-5 different columns at a time.

dave, this sounds like a very interesting idea

for one thing, the user could save the page and then analyze the data
offline

and the increase in responsiveness with dhtml would be dramatic

yeah, neat idea

can i make a suggestion?  the roundtrip to the database should be the
non-javascript default behaviour

if you agree, then you need to develop the roundtrip-to-the-database
version first, and then develop the dhtml version as an added feature

perhaps something similar to the best practice for popup windows, where the
onclick uses "this.href" --

      onclick="DisplayColumn21()"; return false"
      >Display Column 21</a>

where DisplayColumn21() is your dhtml, and display_column_21.html is the
roundtrip that only works if javascript is off

make sense?

rudy