[thelist] CGI script and CHMOD

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Fri Jan 25 04:33:01 CST 2002

2nd post:
(Didn't see this one appear on the list; orig sent 1/24 at 10:16am)

This will be my first time using a CGI script. I found a Tell-a-Friend script which has 5 variables. I changed the $site title as it will reside on my Testimonials page (rather than Home page). And made other text changes too.

Questions:
1. Will this work on both a UNIX and a Windows2000 server?

2. I'm stumped about the $sendmail location which reads "/usr/sbin/sendmail". Does that mean I have to create a directory or subdirectory called /usr/sbin/sendmail and, if so, where do I place it in the directory hierarchy? Do I create a subdirectory called "usr" under the CGI-bin directory?

3. The instructions tell me to upload the script to my cgi-bin and chmod it to 755.  I haven't the foggiest idea what they're talking about. What is "chmod?" How and what do I do to accomplish this? And what does 755 mean?

Here's the script:

# How many friends a user can tell at the same time
$tellnumber = "3";

# Sites title (your webpages title)
$sitetitle = "24 Carat Design Testimonials";

# Location to sendmail on your server
$sendmail_location = "/usr/sbin/sendmail";

# Message sent in the email (description of your site)
$message = qq(Check out this neat site i found http://cgi-scripting.com. It has lots of free cgi scripts for you to download for your website);

# Message that appears to the user once they have submitted the email
$thankyoumessage = qq(Thank you for telling your friend about 24 Carat Design);

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sharon

Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com