[thelist] WinXP says goodbye to 640x480

Eric Vitiello evolt at perceive.net
Fri Jan 25 09:12:01 CST 2002

-- Villano, Paul [Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:23:11 -0500]:
>Just a reminder that some of us (like yours truly) are visually
>impaired...the bigger the better on our monitors.  Size DOES matter.
> So the "plague" of 640 x 480 is actually a blessing to some of us.

If you are in windows (and I'm sure there is a comparable setting in mac),
there are many visual options to change to make your display more useful, without the loss of detail that happens with a 640x480 screen -

In display properties, under effects,  you can select "use large icons" which will make your icons considerably larger, with the same detail.

under the appearance tab of display properties, you can change EVERYTHING about your windows, the border size, titlebar text size, menu text size, window text size, the size of the 3d GUI elements (buttons, etc).

essentially, you should be using the highest possible pixel setting, which still affords you good colors (at least 65k colors).

By doing this, you will have much more pleasurable experience, because the text will be crisper (no jaggies), and everything will be nice and clean!

---
Eric Vitiello
Perceive Designs
<www.perceive.net>