[thelist] Access JET SQL problem

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Fri Jan 25 09:56:01 CST 2002

Hi all-

I inherited a small site that uses Access for the backend. In one page I
have a SQL statement looking something like this:

SELECT [NAME], [MAWB#] FROM [main];

Through a series of increasingly frustrating tests, I have discovered that
the column name MAWB# generates an error:

Error:   No value given for one or more required parameters.
Code:    80040E10
Source:  Microsoft JET Database Engine

The cause is that most typically, the column name used in the query syntax
does not exist. Often this is just a typographical error. Check the column
names in a database against your query string. If you are using Microsoft
Access, make sure that the actual column name is used and not a
column's "display" name.

(1) How can I check that "MAWB#" is the actual column name?
(2) How can I select this if it contains the # character, and is this what
is really causing my problem?

Thanks, and a tip to follow...

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"