[thelist] Access JET SQL problem

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Fri Jan 25 10:25:00 CST 2002

The Rudymeister comes thru.

> >SELECT [NAME], [MAWB#] FROM [main];
>
> this would be one of those very rare times when it's okay to run
>
>     select * from main

You know, sometimes, you simply just can't see the forest for the trees. I
spent two hours banging my head against this yesterday afternoon, and
couldn't think of that; having spent the last three years reminding
myself "never select *"... geez.... (smacks forehead)

> with that special character in the column name, you must always code the
> square brackets

Doesn't help, unfortunately. I can run the generated SQL in the design
query view with abs. no problem - syntax is utterly correct. But it can't
run through IIS using Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 apparently.

Thanks a ton!

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"