[thelist] Help with PWS

Michael Galvin mpgalvin at eircom.net
Fri Jan 25 15:57:01 CST 2002

Bill

You're in luck, 'cos I went through 1 and 2 just over the last few weeks :)

1. I use ActivePerl, which I assume is what you're using.  It probably
doesn't make much difference, but the bit that got me was that you have to
RegEdit so that Win98 knows that .cgi and .pl files are to be opened by the
perl exe.  The installation only added the .pl extenstion (probably my own
fault) so I had to manually add the .cgi version.

Don't forget that you also need to make your cgi-bin directory Executable
(in PWS).

2. Yep, the MySQL win.exe can be installed with no trouble, and php is a
breeze also.  PHP is very close to the Perl installation, in that there's a
little bit of RegEditing to be done, but nothing too difficult.
One thing I did that is causing me a little aggro is that I didn't install
MySQL in the default directory, so I have to run a little batch file every
time I restart my computer.  Wouldn't be a problem if I never switched off
my machine (which I assume most webservers are like)
PHP on PWS is a breeze, as long, again, as the directory with the php files
is executable.

When you're finished
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters\ScriptMap should
have
.cgi pointing to your perl exe (D:\Perl\Bin\Perl.exe %s %s)
.php pointing to your php exe (D:\Php\Php.exe)
.pl pointing to your perl exe (D:\Perl\Bin\Perl.exe %s %s)
.plx pointing to your perl exe (D:\Perl\Bin\Perl.exe %s %s)

3. I'm in Ireland, so I'm sure none of my prospects are of any use to you.
:D

Michael

PS Yay! I answered a question after about a year of sitting here sucking.
Probably all wrong, of course...