[thelist] SSI and search engines

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Jan 28 06:25:01 CST 2002

> I want to put all my meta tags into the one file then include it
> on every page in a site I am building. Just wondering if this will
> cause problems for search engine spiders.

hi michael

no problems, except if you really mean all meta tags -- better to code
unique keyword and description meta tags into each page, for more accurate
search engine results (he said, not yet having implemented his own advice)

but definitely do the static ones in an include module

here are my static ones --

the only dodgy one is date-revised, because it goes on every page -- i
haven't figured out how i want to generate this, so i keep updating it
periodically, so that it's never too stale

i used to have http-equiv="Expires" until i realized i did not want search
engines to remove my pages from their index if i accidentally let time
slide past the expires date (which happened once), and i didn't want to
make it too far into the future, in case all my pages ended up sitting for
months in some search engine cache with an old listing -- so in the end i
left Expires out

rudy