[thelist] Email Blocking

James S. Huggins (Evolt) Evolt at ZName.com
Wed Jan 30 01:59:01 CST 2002

I am just barely beginning to learn about this and know that this list will
provide the answers.

It seems that ISPs are implementing more and more blocking of outgoing
email.

Two types of blocking seem to be prevalent right now:

(1) Port 25 blocking which blocks access to other SMTP servers, and

(2) checking the "From" address specified to ensure that it matches the list
of authorized addresses.

These two, in combination, seem to prohibit you from actually USING the
domain name you have hosted for your website.

Example: you are using Verizon DSL which appears to implement both of these.
You set up a website with POP3 account and SMTP servers for your new domain
MyNewDomain.com

You'd like to be able to send out mail with a "from" address of
BobSmith at MyNewDomain.com

Alas, port 25 blocking prohibits you from accessing your "own" SMTP server
and "From" address checking stops the mail from going thru the Verizon SMTP
server.

A couple questions:

1) Am I understanding correctly? Or do I just have this confused?

2) Is this becoming more common? Is it a problem?

3) Are there solutions?

James S. Huggins